Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Getting to the Bottom of It

The bottom of Coffee Quaker, that is.
Over the weekend I brought CQ out to work on and got to where the very bottom motifs are coming up next. With a finish in view (perhaps not this rotation, but soon), I've kept it out to continue working on.


I did run out of GA Picnic Basket that the lettering is stitched in, among other motifs. Luckily, the DMC equivalent, 839, does not look drastically different. Maybe you can see that "things" is in the DMC and the other words are in Picnic Basket?

I've also run out of GA Apple Cider, but my plan is just to use other GA flosses in the pattern that aren't used as often. For instance the flower motif under "do the" was not charted for Hazelnut, but that's what I decided to use.

Saturday was the big day - the State XCountry meet and our Kamiakin HS boys team (that my twins help coach) won the state 3A title as a team! It's a first for the school and the head coach, Matt Rexus, has deserved this win for a long time. This year the boys were healthy (illness plagued the team other years) and our main rival, North Central in Spokane, did not have as many outstanding runners this year.

Matt Rexus (center), my twins on either side, plus 2 more coaches
The weather held out pretty well for the races, while all the rest of the state was getting rain and snow, which is one reason they hold the state races here. Congratulations to everyone on both the girls and boys teams. The girls did well too, finishing in 5th place!

This coming weekend the boys are heading to Boise to run in Nike's regional qualifying race. Then the Nike National race will take place in Portland, OR, in early December.

OK - that's my update! Have a great week!

7 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations to the cross country team! Woohoo! Your Coffee Quaker is looking super, Von. I would be happy to send you a skein of Picnic Basket and Apple Cider if you want. I have extras.

RJ said...

Super job with the cross country team...congratulations!

I just ran out of Apple Cider myself last night. I often take the DMC equal and mix it with one color darker or lighter. Love the Quaker stitch ... coming along great

RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Barb said...

Congratulations to the cross country team. Our son played football and they made it to the state championship (lost, very sad) so I know what a big deal that is to the kids and the family. I love the coffee Quaker. I can't tell a difference in the floss colors.

Mary said...

Congratulations to your boys on their success. Your Quaker Creek is looking lovely and it's a motto I truly believe in!! First the coffee!! Mary

diamondc said...

Hi Von: What a beautiful design, I am a lover of coffee, I could drink it all day, I do not have a problem with it for sleeping at night.
I have done the same as you if I do not have a color I make do, the specialty threads are just too expensive to go 50 miles for a skein or two.
Congratulations to the teams both girls and boys.
I hope they do well with the Nike Race.

Blessings
Catherine

Marilyn said...

CQ looks great!
Love the colors of this one.
Congrats to the team!!
Marilyn

Julie said...

Congratulations to the team.