Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Just a Little Spot

A Spot of Autumn is finished! With just a few stitches to get those pumpkins, stems, and vines, it didn't take long. Now I just have to find that little acorn charm that belongs in the empty space.


It is stitched on 36 ct "Summer Khaki" linen with 2 WDW threads as called for. Then I substituted Gloriana Autumn Arbor instead of NN Woodland Fantasy since I already had the Gloriana. Finally, instead of DMC, I used Sullivans floss just to see what it was like. The girls at my LNS really like it and they carry it, so I was curious.

After using it for this small project, I can't say that I found a big difference between the Sullivans and DMC. The colors are good and Sullivans does put the equivalent DMC number on the label.


The texture of the floss is just a tad rougher or less silky than DMC. For Spot of Autumn I used only one thread of floss, but I wonder if coverage using two threads would be better on a lower count fabric. Sometimes coverage with DMC black and white isn't good, it might be worth giving Sullivans a try. Will have to find a project with that in mind.


Drawn Thread designs always feature a variety of embroidery stitches, this one includes: satin stitches, smyrna cross, lazy daisy, double backstitches, and of course regular backstitches.


I love it!

9 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Von, congratulations on your very pretty fall finish. Thank you for info about stitching with Sullivan's thread.

Vickie said...

Oh Von, I love it too! ;)

Barb said...

What a pretty Fall design!! Interesting about the threads. I have not tried Sullivan's.

RJ said...

Hello Von! Thank you so much for visiting our blog today. Now I can see what a lovely blog you have. I can't wait to look through all your pretty stitches. It's so nice to find great blogs. I love your choice of patterns and colors...very pretty! RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Julie said...

A very nice finish, so pretty.

Brigitte said...

A lovely finish, Von. I love the four seasonal spots very much but haven't stitched them yet.

Daffycat said...

Oh, I love this finish! Such beautiful stitches.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Such a cute stitch! I don't think I've ever seen Sullivan's floss anywhere!

Anna van Schurman said...

So pretty!