Thursday, December 01, 2005

Snow is Falling!

December 1 and we have snow! So often snow storms are diverted all around us, but not today. The kids are excited. I have the kettle on the stove so that the twins can make hot cocoa after their walk home from speech therapy at the school down the street. Looks like a great day to sit in a chair by the window, watch the snow fall, and stitch!



Do you have rules in the way you stitch? (i.e., Do you start in the middle? Do you determine which blocks to stitch first? Do you always start from the top or the bottom? Do you have special paths to prevent wasting thread?)
Generally, I will start a design from the top and work down. I find the middle and do the counting to the top. If possible, I try to not bring the needle up through a "shared" spot. But I don't have hard and fast rules - everything just depends on the design. I don't usually worry about wasting thread, at least not as much as I used to! Why worry when DMC goes on sale for $0.20 so often. With harder to obtain threads, I'll be more careful.

And I didn't get to last week's question so:
Do you always sign your projects? If not, why? If so, do you use your first name, initials or what?

I don't always sign projects, but I try to remember to. Maybe if I had more finishes I'd remember! I often use my initials, and sometimes Von, and then the year.

4 comments:

mainely stitching said...

Hi Von. Snow and home-made cocoa sound so good - can I come over, too?

Stitching rules? None that are hard & fast. I used to ALWAYS start in the middle because I didn't trust myself to count out correctly. Now that I've messed up a couple of borders, I understand the importance of starting on the outside if there is a border present. I am very miserly with my thread because DMC is expensive here. And it's kind of a challenge to see how far I can stretch it!

Anne S said...

Ooh, hot cocoa and snow ... sounds like bliss. Even though I love the summer weather, I also love the coldness of winter and love to go snow skiing (even though I'm rubbish at it!) - always seems strange, though, while everyone else's having a lovely cold winter for Christmas, we're sweltering in the heat down here! :)

Danielle said...

We also got snow this week. We are due for more this weekend. We didn' get a whole lot, but it has made it very, very cold!! At least we might have a White Christmas this year--that would be nice. I figure if it is going to be this cold, it might as well also be nice to look at! :)

Lelia said...

Ditto - snow here in Indiana, too. Excellent SBQ answer.

I start in the middle & everything else just 'happens'