Monday, August 13, 2018

Stitching, Fires, and Smoke

Hello Summer is progressing nicely.
Hello Summer

After finishing the eagle, I decided to set this one aside and get to stitching on another project. First I picked up Red Velvet Inscription and put in a couple more strands of floss, finishing the K and starting the X below it. I'm planning to put in a couple of strands in between rotating projects, or maybe try picking it up every stitching session for one strand of floss.

Red Velvet Inscription

Then I went to Hello Fall.

Hello Fall
I got in the curly end of the branch, the star designs on the O, and ended with the blackbird. On Hello Fall I'm using one strand of floss over two fabric threads and you can see a clear difference on the two 36 ct fabrics. I don't think there's one definitive rule as to how many strands you use on 36ct, just use whatever pleases you!

The weekend brought us some cooler temps, but Saturday was blustery and a wildfire started south of Kennewick next to I-82 at the exit to Hwy 397. The wind whipped that blaze up quickly spreading it to the east where it came up over the hill and threatened homes at the edge of town. In fact, 4 or 5 homes were lost, many damaged by the heat from the flames coming so close, a couple of horses were killed, but no people. Our local first responders did an excellent job evacuating the area and keeping property damage to what it was. It's very sad that the homes were lost, but it really could have been so much worse. The flames continued to spread to the east/southeast to an area that is mostly wild grasslands. The authorities still do not know what caused the fire.

By Sunday the sky was actually pretty clear, the wind had blown the smoke away from town so Gary and I and Kirsten took the opportunity to drive down to Maryhill Museum to look at the Plein Air Exhibition that daughter Melanie participated in a couple of weeks ago, as well as look at the regular exhibitions at the museum. We had never gone inside before, but had stopped with the kids (years ago when they were little) a couple of times to let them run around the grounds.

Melanie's painting "Scorched Earth"

Melanie did well at this exhibition winning an Honorable Mention, as well as the museum purchasing the above painting. You see during the week a wildfire burned hundreds of acres right across the road from the museum. Several of the artists captured the images they saw as the flames worked their way across the landscape.

 After enjoying all the exhibits there, we drove down the road to Maryhill Winery where we enjoyed some nice wine and a picnic lunch on their patio. They had some live music going and it was a great way to relax after a week of work.


Now the skies are smoky again, so bad today that we can't see the nearby hills unless you get almost next to them. But I really don't want the wind to start up either to spread another fire that could be accidentally sparked. I have great sympathy for the people in California who've been displaced and lost homes in the deadly fires there. Let's all pray for rain . . . with no lightning!

5 comments:

Barb said...

I am with you on prayers for rain. We are very hazy. I usually have a great view of the Olympics but today, they were not visible!! All your stitching looks great. I have not seen Hello Fall. I do love the colors. It looks like a great time at the winery.

Robin in Virginia said...

Good progress on your featured stitches, Von! What a gorgeous painting Melanie created!

Brigitte said...

Nice progress on all your projects, Von.
These fires are terrible and I'm often thinking of the people who lost their homes and all their belongings to the fires. Let's hope that they will soon come to a halt.

RJ said...

Von I'm working on Hello Summer right now and I'm enjoying it. I had to change the Used Brick to Cayenne on the flag however as my Used Brick had too much of a purplish rose shad to it. It's a fun stitch though. I look forward to stitching the others.

I love your letters...one of my favorite things to stitch. Your pattern is so lovely. Have a great day. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Pamela said...

Lovely projects. Hope the rain comes soon!