Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Not So Routine

Okay, obviously I'm not back in the routine and it looks like things won't be routine for several months. I'm still working in the business, still teaching my ESL class, even still getting in some stitching - just not as much. The reason is - my youngest daughter is getting married in June!

Wedding planning is consuming bandwidth in my brain, lol! I was really lobbying for a fall wedding, but circumstances with our pastor's availability and family complications have bumped up the date to June. It's pretty late to be planning for June, but so far we've had good luck with our date being free for the vendors we've talked to. We're planning to have the wedding and reception in the back yard of our oldest daughter's home as they have just over an acre of land. Kirsten found her dress very quickly and easily - in and out of David's Bridal in 90 minutes, lol! The photographer has been procured and one by one the check list is getting shorter.

On to the other part of my life!

Promise of Spring


I did get Promise of Spring finished the first part of February. This was a nice little design, stitched on Picture This Plus Dapple with DMC floss. The end of January, Gary and I had a trip to Scottsdale, Arizona, for an insurance conference and I packed of Promise of Spring to work on during down times.


Yes, the weather was lovely and warm - just right for stitching by the pool.



But the cool mornings were warmed by fire pits all around the property. We were at the J W Marriott, Desert Ridge which is a gorgeous place for a conference and for kicking back in the sunshine!


And I came home with my Starbucks You Are Here mug. I just love these mugs, lol!

So I finished stitching Promise of Spring and I delayed starting another project. The VS Jingle Bell Xmas Tree Farm came out for a few stitches, and then I got a call from my local x-s shop. The Valdani floss set I ordered was in!


Oh boy! This is my first set of  Valdani floss and so far I really do like them. This set of colors goes to Rosewood Manor's Autumn Quaker sampler which was an impulse buy when I lingered a little too long at the LNS. In my stash I had plenty of 32 ct Vintage Country Mocha which seemed to be the best color choice I had available.


So here is the latest pic I have, although I've gotten several more motifs finished since I took it. With a 32ct fabric, I do have to strand the Valdani to two strands (Valdani has three) and that is a bit of a pain to not have an even number of strands in the floss. The end result is worth the effort tho. 😊

We celebrated grandson Knox's 8th birthday on Sunday, and yesterday he and I went shopping and out for lunch. We found a Star Wars lego set he'd been wanting, then went to Red Robin for a hamburger. Red Robin seems to be a favorite for the younger set, and I think this gizmo on the table has something to do with it!


Who needs crayons when there are video games on that screen! Somehow I was able to pry him away from it to get his lunch down and then we actually played a few trivia games together. He's a bright little guy and always a lot of fun!

So that pretty much wraps up my update! I'll keep plugging away at my blog reader and maybe someday I'll actually catch up with all of you.

11 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I love your Promise of Spring piece. Way to go on your finish! Nice start on the Quaker piece. Congratulations and best wishes to your daughter on her upcoming wedding! Your grandson is a handsome young man. Happy birthday to him!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Congratulations to your daughter, June is a great month for a wedding. Lovely stitching, I especially like your Quaker piece such beautiful colours.

Vickie said...

Congratulations!! This is so wonderful for your daughter!
Promise of Spring is gorgeous Von. So is your new start and the floss!

Barb said...

Very nice seeing what you are up to Von. Congratulations on the approaching wedding, what fun!! She must be a focused young lady to pick out the dress in 90 minutes! I love the Spring piece. I am getting very tired of winter in this neck of the woods. We will be headed to warmer parts later in March. Seeing your day with your handsome young grandson makes me even more anxious to go to Alabama for Caleb's spring break! Looks like a great time in Arizona!

Julie said...

Promise of Spring is lovely, I need to remember that saying this week as we have a snow storm and its so mighty cold.
Huge congrats to your daughter and to you to 'mother of the bride' what exciting, if busy, times ahead for you all.
Lovely to see a post here. x

Mary said...

Your promise of Spring is beautiful...lets hope Spring is here soon, though you certainly enjoyed the warmer weather in Scottsdale! How exciting to be planning a June wedding. Your grandson is a cutie pie!!

Brigitte said...

Promise of Spring is exactly what I need right now. But after a very cold and icy week the weather has improved and the warmth is slowly coming back, so this might be the real promise of spring.
Good luck with the planning of the wedding.

Carol said...

How exciting for your daughter!! Wedding planning is indeed time consuming. My son got married last year and even though I was only the mother of the groom, my daughter-in-law nicely included me on the planning. Enjoy!

Love your finish so much--such beautiful colors!

diamondc said...

Von: Congratulations on the upcoming wedding how exciting.
Promise of Spring is a beauty of a design.
I am so jealous of the warm weather you are having, you are able to sit outdoors and stitch.
Blessings
Catherine

Karoline said...

Congratulations to your daughter on her engagement.

Promise of Spring is lovely, your stitching spot looks perfect! Your new start looks great and it sounds like you had a great time with your grandson

viv said...

I'm so behind, but I was missing you so checked for your last entry. Congrats to your daughter on her soon to be marriage. I'm sure it will be a lovely event. Enjoyed seeing your stitching, although it does seem spring is teasing us. Snow today, 70 tomorrow. Hugs to you and yours.