Friday, April 21, 2017

Quick Catch-Up

Blogging and reading blogs has definitely fallen to the bottom of my to-do list recently, as happens in the spring when there are so many other things to do. The roses have been pruned and now I'm in the middle of clearing the ground to prep for fertilizing and mulching. Being a fair weather gardener, the going is slow, but I did get a chance for a couple of quick sessions outside this week. It's gorgeous outside today, but I'm stuck here at work. At least with longer days now, I should have plenty of time to work this evening.


Some of my roses aren't doing too well after the long, cold winter, but there are signs of renewal on even the worst of them.

Stitching progress has been slow too. For my April Stitch Maynia start, I got my VS Retreat project loaded, put in a few grid lines and make a start on it.


The lighting is bad on this pic, but I've chosen to stitch it on 28ct Smokey Pearl linen. So far I've only done some backstitching, but the florals will go on next with a birthday cake in the center of this section.

And here's my progress on Hello Spring.


I am really loving this little sweetie!

This week I joined a Facebook group stitch along for the Coffee Quaker design that was released earlier this year by Heartstring Samplery. It's been really helpful to look at what other stitchers are doing, the choices they've made, etc. to help me make my decision before getting started. I was originally planning to get a length of 40 ct platinum linen, which I would have to buy somewhere. Now I think I'll just go ahead and use 32 ct Vintage Country Mocha that I recently ordered. Several other stitchers have used that and it's looking really good. There's really no need to spend more money when I have something perfectly lovely at home already!

We had a really nice Easter weekend. Saturday the grandchildren came over to color eggs and then have an egg hunt. This year Uncle Brendan and Uncle Kyle did a fabulous job hiding the eggs for the older boys (ages 13 and 11) and it took them over an hour to find all their eggs! Then on Sunday we had Easter dinner with most of our adult kids who didn't have to host dinner for their other sides of the family. I try to keep Easter low-key since Christmas is such a big day. And we have our big birthday bash coming up next month on the 20th where we celebrate everyone's birthday all at once! Love that!

Well, I think my break is over and I'd better get back to work! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend my friends!

10 comments:

Melinda Forbes said...

As the weather gets nicer, I do spend less time on stitching. We have so little warm, dry weather here, I have to take advantage of every day. I also have the Coffee Quaker, I did not start it yet. I think your fabric will be perfect. Stitching from Stash this year, I am trying to substitute fabric and all the flosses. I will have to see what is happening in the Facebook group. Have seen several pictures of projects on Instagram and of course Flosstube. I am looking forward to watching your stitching

viv said...

My blogging has fallen by the wayside as well...so I'm thankful you are keeping your going. Roses are either blooming or budding here. The first to bloom was a climbing rose, Zepherine Drouhin. Then the red and yellow knock-out roses bloomed. A red, unnamed rose that came from my grandfather years ago is also in bloom. One of the David Austen roses has bloomed and the others are in bud. Usually the fairy roses bloom first, but they will be last...maybe because I pruned the rather severely last fall. The bearded iris are just coming in bloom as well. The pinks have been blooming their little hearts out. On the stitching front, I finished a Shepherd's Bush piece and hope to post a picture soon. Happy gardening and stitching. Glad to hear you had a lovely Easter. Ours was as well.

Barb said...

Nice seeing your blog Von. I know just what you mean. It seems like I am gardening between the raindrops!! Plus it is still very cool, today was wonderful but tomorrow is already forecast for rain. I'm thinking I lost some dahlias due to the wet winter. You are doing some very pretty stitching.

Vickie said...

Hey Von! I am trying to get into the garden myself. It is so frustrating to be limited by the sun. So much needs to be done!! Your projects look sweet.♥

Carol said...

I haven't been reading or blogging much either, Von--just a busy, busy time of year! I do love that spring piece that you are stitching--a "must buy" for me the next time I send an order in :)

Glad you had such a lovely Easter--sounds delightful with the egg hunt!

Robin in Virginia said...

Good progress on your WIPs! Are you going to use the called for threads for the Coffee Quaker piece? I look forward to seeing your progress on it. Enjoy your weekend!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice start on the VS project.

I love the Coffee Quaker design so I will look forward to seeing your's.

Unknown said...

Your roses will soon bounce back, it is amazing how resilient they are! Loving your Hello Spring, the colours are gorgeous.

diamondc said...

Hi Von: Happy Belated Easter.
Spring does bring with it a lot of work.
I hope your roses come back as beautiful as ever.
Love you Hello Spring, what a sweet design.

Blessings
Catherine

Julie said...

The shading on the Hello Spring bunny is so pretty.