Sunday, June 20, 2010

Wedding Season


Diebler Bouquets
Originally uploaded by GaryPaulson
We've had our share of graduations this year, grand celebrations that they are. But nothing beats a wedding for a joyous celebration, and our calendar is filling with quite a number of them.

My joy was tempered with quite a bit of stress as I played the role of florist for my friend's daughter's wedding. I've made up bouquets and done a little arranging for four other weddings, but the bouquets were made of roses only, pretty simple. This bride wanted different kinds of garden flowers in a white and yellow combination. Thankfully the wedding was outdoors and not terribly formal, so that gave me a little leeway for each bouquet to be different and not look like they were made by a professional. Still fitting a variety of flowers together from a variety of places, including retail and personal gardens with a little bit of roadside thrown in, took me beyond my comfort zone.

Somehow I plowed ahead through my doubts and delivered the flowers on time for the pictures before the wedding. The bride told me she loved them (thank you for being such a sweetheart bride, Lauren!), and they were patient with me when I had to send my DH back home to retrieve the corsage pins that I had forgotten.

It was a delightful wedding on a beautiful day. But just to be fair to the couple of friends whose wedding was rained out and had to be moved at the last minute, this wedding reception was shortened by a rain shower. It was wonderful to see so many friends pitching in to get gifts moved, tables and chairs removed, etc., while a number of young people were on the dance floor in the rain. :)

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Your bouquets were lovely Von! You're a woman of many talents. I'd love to learn flower arranging. I have difficulties just arranging the cut flowers from my garden.

Deb said...

I think that your bouquets are beautiful Von. It really takes a special talent to make something so beautiful. I'm all thumbs when it comes to those kinds of things.

Sharon said...

I think your bouquets are beautiful! I would have been petrified to do that!

marylin & poussy said...

Magnificent flowers! All my marylin friendship