Tuesday, August 29, 2006

1st Day of School

Today is the first day one of my children has attended public school. In some ways it was a hard decision to let him go, and in other ways it was tremendously easy. But most importantly, DH and I think it's what's best for Brendan (child #4), and he was eager for a new experience. This morning he awoke on his own at 6 a.m., I rolled out about 15 minutes later and we had a nice time chatting together over breakfast and last minute preparations. At 7 he was out the door to catch the bus with the neighborhood kids. He's in 9th grade, just starting high school.

About 2:40 he was back home again, excited about his day. The first day is always great, lol! He has a little algebra homework. It'll be interesting to see how long the excitement lasts.

I've been doing a little blog reading today, stitched a bit at lunchtime, and have begun to enter the lessons for the new homeschool year into my computer program. This year I have only ten classes to enter! Piece of cake!

Thanks for your kind comments on my smocking and cards. Singular Stitches was wondering if I made my Christmas cards and I do try to, altho some years I'm just too busy for it. It's great fun tho and I really love to mass produce things! Kids, meals, cards, etc. lol!

10 comments:

Cathy B said...

My kids started school today - my baby started 9th grade! While I'm sure it was hard to see him go, Brendan will do fine!

Your smocking that you worked on at the fair is beautiful!

Susan said...

So 3 to homeschool still? That'll keep you busy. =) Mom of 7, that's a lot of work. I'm telling you? =) I have a friend with 7, and her youngest is about the same age as your youngest. She's a grandma, now, too. I didn't have good enough parenting skills for that many. Or time management skills, either.

Unknown said...

I am LOL-ing at how you mass produce children. I feel the same way!

mainely stitching said...

Congratulations to you and DS#4 on the first day of public school! I'm glad it was a success. :)

Kitty Couture said...

Congratulations on that new step! Wishing your DS all the best on this new adventure :)
Your last sentence really made me laugh and it reminds me so much of my mother - she could do so much every day!! Including kids, although she didn't have as many as you did (but she would have loved to). Maybe that's one of the reasons why I enjoy your blog so much, Von!

Rachael said...

What a gigle you are- mass produces kids. I needed a laugh just now . Thanks. Plus you know I love those Grady dresses.

Sharon said...

Too funny about the mass production! But, hey when your'e good your'e good! LOL

Good Luck to Brenden in public school. I have to commend you-I would probably have a breakdown if I homeschooled my kids.

lena-lou said...

Glad to hear Brendan liked his 1st day and even the homework idea...for now! You must be so organised and excellent with your time management to do the home schooling I don't know anybody here that does that and wouldn't have a clue myself how you would do it!

Leeland said...

You are so well organized!
Glad to read that Brendan liked his first day at public school!
My kids will resume school next monday (day off in the US, apparently?).
It's so hard to watch them grow and have so little influence on that big part of their life... Well, you gotta get used to it. Do you?
Hugs!

Rachel V said...

Von, I know that was a big decision - I'm glad he had a great first day. I love the name Brendan, by the way! I don't think I realized until now that you had seven kiddos - that is extraordinary! What a blessing to have a mom like you. :)