Thursday, July 06, 2006

Silence


This morning the hvac guys finished the installation, did the walk-through with us, and left. In their wake was a sweet silence that I savored all day long.

There were no fans running, no noisy wall a/c unit chugging along in an almost vain attempt at keeping the living room and kitchen bearable. Silence and, cool rooms - throughout the house. SWEET!

That heat pump is huge though! I'm seeing lattice going all around that thing and a climbing rose, or two, engulfing it. :D

In celebration, DH and the three youngest kids will be loading up the travel trailer and heading out of town. DH and I were going to have to travel to Portland on Monday to attend his uncle's funeral, so thought we might as well make a weekend out of it. Think I'll sneak in a trip to Heirloom Roses just south of town in St. Paul. Now I really have to make some decisions, or rather narrow down the choices I've already circled in the catalog! And it looks like the weather is going to be pretty nice when we're there.

So tomorrow will be busy preparing the trailer, once we get it back from the dealership. While it's still on warranty, there were a couple of items that needed to be taken care of, so it's been in the shop. And the twins will be swimming in their first competition of the season. Thankfully it's a very low-stress competition where just finishing the race is cheered as much as the guy who finished first. They participated last year and even though they consistently finished toward the end of their races, showed lots of improvement and wanted to swim again this year. It's good for them and the pool is nearby so I don't have to drive them - except that I did when it was over 100 degrees.

I'll wish you all a happy weekend just in case I'm not able to while we're gone! Enjoy!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a great trip Von! You deserve a great restful trip after all you have put up with!

Andrea said...

Great to see everything coming together. Climbing roses sound wonderful, just think of the scent. Mmmmm.
Have an enjoyable weekend. *waves*

Schokti said...

Here is where my wild imagination is going - you description prompted me to think of a chorus of angels, poised and ready to sing the great "aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!" but they have to wait to so you can enjoy your silence. One young man off to the side can't hold it any longer and lets out a little peep, and gets looks from the rest of the chorus.

Perhaps more coffee is in order for me (or less? lol).

Enjoy the silence!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to hear, Von! I bet the silence is nearly deafening. Too bad you won't be around this weekend to enjoy it, but I know you'll have a great time wherever you may wander. :)

mainely stitching said...

I hope you enjoy a fun weekend away. I agree, lattice is in demand for that heat pump, but what a small price to pay for a cool, quiet house!

Mylene said...

Have a safe trip, Von. And enjoy!!!!

Running Kiwi said...

Have a good trip! Hope the swimming goes well too :)

Singular Stitches said...

Oh, Von, we knew you were cool all along, now you have the air temperature to prove it! :o)

Joanie said...

Have a great time on your trip this weekend! I am glad that your A/C is working and your house is coming together!

Thanks for the post to my blog, it was VERY nice and so encouraging!

Cathy B said...

Enjoy your trip Von - safe travels!

Susimac said...

Hope you have a good trip and that silence re4ally is golden for you.

Lelia said...

Sorry to hear of your DH's uncle passing. I hope you enjoy your time away.

Nice to have a day of quiet tho, right? I like your idea of the trellis & roses!!

Karoline said...

I can relate to listening to the silence LOL. Enjoy your trip

Unknown said...

Wow, way to go on the air conditioning and what a difference it will make.

Good luck to the twins and their swimming and hope that your trip goes well.

I have been following your blog with all the trial and tribulations that go with altering, it takes the paitence of a saint!

Dianne said...

A/C is so worth the cost and in the long run it pays for itself.
Have a safe trip!!

Leeland said...

I sometimes wish I had one of these things, but it would only serve one or two months... Our problem here is to have as much sun as possible on the house so we can face autumn, winter and spring. My house is very well orientated for this -but we suffer when it's hot (doesn't happen much)...
I agree with you: I think I would try to "hide" this big magical machine a little...
Hope you enjoyed your WE -and sorry about your DH's uncle.
Lots of hugs!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Enjoy your long weekend!