Saturday, April 08, 2006

Saturday Cleaning Project

No worries, everyone, the water didn't damage anything, but just caused me great distress as I hate having to deal with water in the basement. We soon had the water sucked up and the fans running to quicken the drying time. The next morning, it was fine and I took the opportunity to go through some of the junk down there, throw out and reorganize. Then today all that reorganizing kinda spilled out into the family room.

I'd been thinking about moving things around - something I do frequently - to create a better space for ironing. I keep my ironing board out all the time as I have to iron dh's shirt in the morning, then I use the board as a landing pad for junk during the day. Does anyone else make more of a mess in order to clean up a mess? That seems to be my way of doing things. So now, at the end of the day, I have the big things placed where I wanted, several garbage bags of stuff picked up and thrown away, and the floor cleaned. There remains several piles of things that need to be gone through and either thrown away or homes found for them.

Groceries needed to be bought today and as I was in the middle of the huge project downstairs, my dh said he'd go for me. Twelve years ago when I was hugely pregnant with twins, he was very proficient at grocery shopping. Well, that was then and he's since forgotten, lol! I gave him a good list, precise and all that, but all he knows about the grocery store these days is where to find the beer, chips, and milk. So he was wandering the store for ages before he finally got home so I could prepare dinner, which was finally ready at 7:30 p.m. Now I will prevail upon my teenage daughter to clean up the kitchen.

I'm going to turn on the TV and stitch for awhile!

7 comments:

Carol said...

Oh my! Water in the basement! That happened to us two or three years ago after very heavy snows started to melt all at once. It was disgusting, but more of a hassle than anything else. So glad it turned out OK in that nothing was ruined!!

Susimac said...

Glad things haven't been ruined. My DH -(now I'm bragging), is the regular grocery shoper in our house, he doesn't impulse buy like me.

Chiara said...

ALso I'm in spring-cleaning moood but with little results!!! I prefer to stitch!!!! Have a nice sundy
cheers

Rachael said...

I always have a bigger mess before it gets better when I start a Big clean. I like to move things around in an attempt to get more from my space. I am glad that the water didn't do too much damage!

Dawn T. said...

I'm glad nothing got ruined by the water! I'm like you I always make a huge mess trying to get things organized. :)

Katrina said...

Hi Von, I hope you got to relax and stitch a little after your very productive Saturday, and also, happy belated birthday to your dd :)

Nancy in IL said...

Von, we can't even get insurance for our basement anymore, as we had so many floods. It's finished, and we've lost tons of stuff, some precious and can't be replaced. We now have two huge sump pumps and a generator in case the power fails. We had the worst flash floods I've ever seen here last week, but we were fine and the power never flickered.

I'm glad your basement wasn't a disaster, and yes, I make a mess to clean up a mess, lol. Can't do anything without making a mess.