Monday, January 25, 2016

Oops!

I should have known.

Thursday evening I finished stitching the xs section of "Rose Garden" by Victoria Sampler. The next thing to do was begin cutting and withdrawing threads for hardanger weaving. I thought to myself, "I should set this aside and do the cutting on a Saturday morning." But this Saturday morning I had a church group meeting, the next Saturday I will be out of town, so I went ahead and started to cut.


Everything went quite well when I was cutting the corners. But when I went ahead to cut the longer sections on the sides, one slip of the snip and four threads were cut that are not supposed to be cut! See below:

Right there in the center - loose fabric threads!

Sigh. It's not the end of the world and it's fixable. But it's a pain. I could just start over, but I think I'll suck it up one of these days and use the pulling of the threads and reweaving as practice.

I love hardanger and these things happen, even when well rested and with great light. So fixing this mistake will be adding to my skill, right?

What would you do?


11 comments:

viv said...

Sorry. Have had to reweave a few myself...good luck...and some hugs.

Barb said...

It probably depends on the day. I am thinking I would put it away for awhile. Sometimes that clarifies things for me. I have done that and sometimes I feel much better and finish the project. Other times I realize it didn't mean too much to me so I give it up. But waiting a bit does seem to help with my decision. So sorry for the problem!

Karen said...

Oh how disappointing! I would probably pull the fabric threads out and re-weave it as well. I usually try to work around my mistakes, but I don't know how else to work around this one. On the bright side, aside from the cut threads, it is a very pretty piece and your stitching looks beautiful. :)

Just Another Old Geezer said...

So sorry to hear of your dilemma, still all in all a fantastic project!!!
http://www.craftvideolibrary.com

Julie said...

It does look very pretty despite the little hiccup. I haven't done hardanger for a long time, its the cutting bit that scares me!

Vickie said...

What a pretty piece. I am sorry that happened to you. I have never done hardanger. I would probably try to repair it. It will be interesting to see what you do.

Sherry said...

It looks lovely. I hope you are able to find a quick fix to the problem.

Heritage Hall said...

Weave finer thread within each loosened thread and re-attach....a plane flying
over will never notice...

Mylene said...

It sure looks fine though..
I haven't done Hardanger in a long while though it did happen to me too, twice with a bigger project for cushions.. i never fix it and i think one i just thrown it away.

Brigitte said...

This piece is so pretty and I'm sure you can fix the problem. When the threads are re-woven in some way - I have never done Hardanger so don't know anything about it - nobody will ever notice your mishap, even not you :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Its so pretty! I'd fix it!